Wednesday, July 27, 2011

South Arm Geocaching Stakeout -- Conclusion

Having obtained one of the Garmin Rinos from my dad, I returned to South Arm park for the third time to search for the errant Taylor's Cache. The accuracy stayed at around 5 meters while under the trees, as opposed to the 30 meters from the eTrex Vista I used my last two attempts. As expected, the device pointed me straight to GZ and after pushing aside some leaves with a stick, I found the cache.

The swag in the cache was nothing to get excited about. Amongst the crap inside the hidden garbage can was the plastic part of a eaten Ring Pop. Anyone young enough to be eating a Ring Pop probably didn't travel to and find this cache all by themselves, so a parent or guardian decided to drop that in. I left a few of the President's Choice meat and pork stickers which my friend--who grabs a few of the stickers while shopping with his family at Superstore--and I save for caches with poor swag. I'd like to have left something which better suited the quality of the swag in the cache, but couldn't find anything worse in my geocaching kit.

Replacing the cache was the real challenge. All of the trees look the same, and when I finished signing the logbook and replaced the lid, I realized I had no idea which tree the cache had come from. I made my best guess, and, knowing that no one's GPS would be perfect and point to an exact tree, the next seekers would be able to find it just fine.

I found kool11's name in the logbook, so I know she found the cache. That rules out the first of the three  scenarios I came up with in my last post, and since I ruled out the other two myself, I am now very confused. I have emailed kool11 asking some questions and I will update this post when/if she gets back to me. I'll also start a topic in the forums then. Continue to check back on this post for updates.

Kool11's name mocks me in the logbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment